At the end of the summer, most of us feel like our pores are congested from the hot weather and pollutants and our skin is begging for purification! Today at WGN, Elina demonstrated how to make a DIY scrub to clean up our pores and even stubborn blackouts.
She demonstrates how to make a simple mask that will enrich your skin with Vitamin K (which reduces redness and supports blood vessels around the face) Vitamin C (which supports collagen formation) and other precious beauty nutrients.
She will also show how to calm, heal, and detoxify the skin inside and out by using special compresses and foods.
1. Skin Detoxifying Herbal Compress
This compress is made with artichoke stock, dandelions, and milk thistle.
· Boil 3-4 cups of water and 1 medium-sized artichoke slowly for 10 minutes and the last 2 minutes before it is done, you can add 1 teaspoon of each – milk thistle, dandelion, or burdock root. Or you can add a bag of tea of that blends into the water if you do not have the loose herbs. You can also do this without the extra herbs and only artichoke.
· Soak a compress in this warm tea. The compress could be a washcloth, cotton pad, etc.
· Apply to the face for 3-5 minutes.
It has a number of anti-inflammatory and skin detoxifying properties which helps to calm the skin and reduce pore size. It is helpful for everyone but specifically for problem complexion. This is a great mask for anyone in the summer!
2. Black Head Removing & T-Zone Purifying Scrub
· Mix 1 teaspoon of Keifer or yogurt and 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda and 1/2 teaspoon of sea salt.
· Mix all together.
· Massage your congested areas around the nose, chin, and forehead where you see blackheads.
· Leave on for 1 minute to absorb extra oil on the skin and wash off.
3. Cilantro, Celery, and Peppermint Skin Detoxifying and Cleansing Mask
· You can pick up organic cilantro leaves (just a few leaves) and a half stick of celery. Then, put in a blender in equal proportions with just a few peppermint leaves and a little bit of purified water.
· Blend to smoothie consistency and apply on face for 2-5 minutes.
· You can also mix with a little bit of oatmeal to achieve a creamy consistency.